Ideas for Increasing Breast Supply
· Nurse more often --aim for 10-12 times every 24 hours as a MINIMUM. If baby will only wake up every 3 hours, then get a few extra pumpings into your schedule.
· Pump preferable double pump, for 10- 15 minutes between nursing or at least 8 times each day. If milk slows down during session, stop, stretch, massage, drink something and start again to get to the 10 minutes. 5 more minutes after a break increases supply better than staying on longer over a two week period.
· Cluster pump for 5-8 minutes 4 times over a 2 hour period once a day.
· Increase skin to skin contact especially while baby is still sleepy, but has been asleep for 1 hour.
· Dietary ideas include whole grains, slow-cooking oatmeal. barley, and brown rice. leafy green vegetable, alfalfa leaf, super green foods
· Fenugreek and blessed thistle both and together about 300-350 mg, 3 X day for a total of about 1000 mg. each can increase to 2000mg (some sources say up to 6000mg). The fenugreek will make you smell like maple syrup, but avoid if thyroid issues or insulin resistant.
· Better products include Shatavari, and Malanggay/Moringa from Herblore.com, golacta.com, or other distributors.
· More Milk, More Milk Plus, Herblore products in tincture form offer a variety of helpful herbs and for some the variety is helpful, including nettle, anise, dill, fennel, goat’s rue. Much of this information comes from the book The Nursing Mother’s Herbal by Sheila Humphrey
· Drink to thirst, roughly half your body weight in ounces or a little more than that amount. If you weigh 130 pounds drink 65 oz each day plus a little more to not be thirsty. It does not help to drink 2 gallons.
· Avoid peppermint, parsley, sage, birth control pills and OTC decongestants.
· Acupuncture for mom to increase milk supply. Call for referral if needed.
· Two prescription drugs that are available are Reglan (metoclopramide) and Domperidone. Reglan has some unfriendly side effects for Mom but is available. Domperidone is not used in the United States, so is harder to obtain. I recommend you look into these options on websites such as breastfeedingonline.com,kellymom.com, and those below, to evaluate for yourself. Some moms have found them extremely helpful. Some believe bolded products do the same job of increasing the hormone prolactin.
· 5 online support groups: www.bfar.org (breastfeeding after reduction surgery), www.fourfriends.com/abrw (adoptive breastfeeding resource); http://www.mobimotherhood.org “Mothers Overcoming Breastfeeding Issues.” http://www.lowmilksupply.org; www.karengromada.com for issues re. twins plus.
· Use of Supplemental Nursing System by Medela or Lact-aid available at http://www.lact-aid.com/ as an option. These devices allow you to supplement your baby while the baby is at the breast. I can put together a homemade system to try.
· Many mini-hand expression episodes throughout the day 15 seconds to 2 minutes long can increase milk supply, including immediately before and after use of electric pump.
· https://vimeo.com/65196007 for hand expression and breast massage.